Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Ice Cream, bowling, and my brown-eyed girl






We had a really fun Wednesday in Kansas City. We met my friend Lisa and her 2 year old daughter, Teryn, at a place called The Legends- a BIG outdoor shopping area. I cannot believe I didn't take pictures of Lisa and Teryn- what was I thinking??? The only pictures I took were of my child, joining the field trip group to learn more about dinosaurs. I think she just would have gone right in with them if I hadn't stopped her. How cute does she look in the middle of all those yellow shirts? She was listening intently as the guide taught the kids about different types of dinosaurs. She was fascinated! We had a great time with them, just shopping, talking, and eating, of course.

Later that night we headed out for ice cream (AGAIN!), and Allison enjoyed a cone, which is a rare treat. I'm the mommy that gets the cup for my kid, NOT the cone! Nana had to continually lick the cone so it wouldn't drip all over, but I don't think she minded doing it. It was yummy ice cream!

I've determined, after several attempts, that kids really aren't ready for bowling until at least four years of age. :) I really do have fun when I take Allison, but she's really just too little. We started out with normal lanes, but after several gutter balls, we ordered the bumpers. Leave it to my child to get a gutter ball WITH the bumpers- you've got to work hard to make that happen! And how cute are those little bowling shoes? I just had to get a shot!

Stay tuned for more pictures from Kansas City tomorrow!

Oh, I wanted to post a couple of stories too...

1. background information- we've been reading a book where fowl is mentioned. I've told Allison that's like chicken. Okay, so today we were at the mall (YES, AGAIN!), and we were sharing our usual Panda Express meal (orange chicken, rice, and crab rangoon), when Allison says, "Mommy, can you please pass me some more fowl?" My friend looked at me and said, "Did she just ask for more fowl?" We were both cracking up!

2. To date, Allison has not asked a lot about her heritage. She knows she was born in China, and we've read several books on adoption, but so far she hasn't really inquired about being born to someone besides me. She has compared our skin color and commented on how it's different. She's also asked a few times what color she is, to which I've replied that she's kind of light brown. Today when we were shopping her little mind was working overtime. First she asked what color she was. Then she asked what color her eyes were. Then she asked, "Mommy, where did you get your green eyes?" I knew what was coming. I told her I got them from Nana- that Nana has green eyes and she gave them to me. Then she said it, "Where did I get my brown eyes?" I almost cried, right there in the store. Instead I'm crying right now. Geez, pull it together, Laurie! I really wanted to tell her they came from me. I wish they did. They are really pretty eyes. I told her the mommy she had when she was in China gave them to her, and that they must have been really beautiful eyes because hers were so pretty, and I left it at that. She was fine with that answer, thank goodness. I know I couldn't have handled any more at that time. But I know her. She will be processing that and will have follow-up questions before I'm ready for them. You can read 100 books on how to respond to these types of questions- how to help your child understand their adoption, but in the end, your heart just talks. All I can do is pray that God will help me find the right words.

3 comments:

Jodee said...

Cute bowling pictures! Allison looks all grown up in them.

I think you did a great job answering your first tough question! I agree -- Allison has beautiful eyes!

Kate said...

Ohhh....yeah...must be the age...Lia has started to ask those types of questions too. I also thought I was prepared, but I didn't expect them quite so soon and she caught me off guard as well.

Sounds like you did a great job of fielding Allison's question. We're all right there with you on these tough questions!!!

missy said...

Hi Laurie,

Allison obviously has some serious bowling skills : ) She is too cute.

Oh, how I remember those questions. You are never fully prepared and yes, speaking from your heart is all you can do and that is all your little one wants you to do.

Paige started really questioning things at Allison's age. She is a deep thinker (like it sounds like your angel is) and she would try to process through everything we told her and then have more questions.

It is ok to tell her that you wish it had been you to give her those beautiful eyes. My mom and I tell Paige that all the time and it makes Paige feel so happy!

You are doing great!!!