Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Oops, I forgot Saturday night!






I just looked through the last few pages of the blog and realized that I forgot to post pictures from Saturday, the day we really had some fun! So, here goes! It was our turn to babysit Katie for the date night/babysitting swap we do monthly with our friends, and boy did we have fun. I told Beth, Katie's mommy, that I planned enough activity for the whole day, not just an evening, so we didn't end up doing all I had planned, but we still had fun!

The first task was to make dinner. The girls do such a great job helping in the kitchen, so I decided we'd make our own pizzas again. They really did it all with very little help from me. Scott played camera man so I could make sure no one fell from the chairs. Okay, Katie fell once just cause she got so excited she started hopping around on the chair. :) Guess I didn't do my job very well. Anyway, the pizzas were yummy! Oh, and Katie was just fine. :)

Then it was bath time. They are really cute in the tub together! I think they could hang out in there, playing with toys, for a long time. Allison is a big sissy when it comes to having her hair washed, however. "My eyes! My eyes! It's in my ear! AHhhh!" Katie, on the other hand, actually tilts her head back like you're supposed to and calmly lets you wash her hair. I took care of Katie's hair first, commenting the whole time about what a great job she was doing, how she wasn't crying, etc. Then I washed Allison's, and lo and behold, Katie's good example did the trick. "I'm putting my head back like Katie. I'm not not crying at all- just like Katie!" YEAH!! God bless you, Katie! I gave Allison a bath this morning and she did the routine perfectly- a 10 on the head tilt. She credited Katie the whole time, too! It's amazing how kids often learn best when shown by a peer. I need to remember that!

The last picture is of the girls is them playing in this little toddler bed we bought Allison a long time ago- for her to use if we were at someone's house and she needed to lay down. Shows you how much we go out and about- she's never used it. Well, Katie did great using it as her bed (yeah- no dragging the pack and play upstairs!). The girls had a ball playing in it before bedtime. After sharing it for a bit, Katie decided to play Mommy and tuck Allison in. Bless her heart, she is such the care taker, but my child wanted nothing to do with that. It was a pretty funny scene. Anyway, it was a fun night with Katie, as usual. In the morning the first thing Allison asked was, "Where's Katie?" When we told her she'd gone home in the night she had to check the playroom to make sure she was actually gone. Too cute!

On to Tuesday- I had a list of things to do and was excited to take Allison to gymnastics again. Well, she didn't do so well this time. They called me 1/2 way through and said she was sad and had been crying for me for quite awhile. I'm not sure why this time was different, but it tells me we need to do things like this more often so she gets used to being away from me. That's tough for me. My first reaction is to keep her home 24/7 so she won't be sad and cry, but I know she needs to gain some independence from me too. Any advice on how to handle this? I'll take it!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm so jealous on the hair washing miracle you experienced! Kylie has come a long way in bathtime, but still screams the entire time I wash her hair. Looks like I need to find a model for her...
And if you get good advice on how to make Allison more comfortable being separated from you, please pass it along! We are going to try Kylie at preschool this summer.

Danielle Moss said...

Adorable photos as usual. :)

Beth said...

I'm glad that Allison followed Katie's example on the head tilt during bath. Now, if we could get Katie to follow Allison's example on the potty!! :)