Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

A First

Tonight Allison is at her Nana and Papaw's (my parents) house while I am in St. Louis. We drove to KC together on Wednesday and I came back to St. Louis today, leaving her there to spend an extended weekend with her grandparents. I have only been away from Allison on 2 separate overnights, so this is a HUGE thing for me. Not so much for her, she'll be fine. But for me- HUGE! My mom has always wanted to spend some extended time with Allison, and we thought this was a good time to do it- kind of a trial run for what it will be like to be apart for 2 weeks when we travel to China this winter.

I made sure I said my goodbyes with a smile on, but I was bawling before I got to the car. I kept looking in the back seat on the way home, so sad to see it empty. This tells me a couple of things. First of all, I really, really love my child and enjoy spending every day with her. And secondly, I really need to work on my OWN separation anxiety. It really should be okay, and is actually pretty healthy, to have time away from your children every now and then. Or so I keep telling myself. Scott and I have LOTS of little projects to do around the house this weekend- a major one is to paint Aaron's room and to put up crown molding and a chair rail. I'll post some pictures of the progress. We received his bedding this week, so I can show you what it looks like with the paint and the completed furniture in a couple of days. Fun times!

What's making this time away a bit more do-able is ichat. What a GREAT function of the Apple computer. We tested it out with Daddy when he was back here and we were in KC. Thank goodness we converted my parents to Apple a couple years ago! At first Allison was sad to see Daddy because he wasn't "in person", but once she talked to him a bit and he read her a book, she was ALL OVER IT! Tonight we both talked to her and read to her, and she was so happy! I know she'll have a fun weekend with Nana and Papaw, but man, I miss her already. I did wait until the computer turned off before I started crying again. I was strong! :)






Mommy and Allison take a break on the road to have a little fun at McDonalds!



Allison and Papaw cross the road to enter Barnes and Noble, where she quickly suckered Nana into buying her FIVE new books!



Allison reads Daddy a book via ichat



I was SO happy to see my baby tonight, even if it was just through the computer. I LOVE technology!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Wow, and I thought I was making strides by letting Kylie spend the night at my mom's here in my same city...
I'll be praying for you this weekend as you are away from Allison, but I hope that you get lots done on Aaron's room!

Andrea said...

I remember how hard it is to say goodbye. Last year I did 6 days away from her with the youth trip to LA. It felt so wrong to be enjoying Disneyland while my little one was at home with Gma. Can't wait to see the completed room! I'm hoping that when AWAA reopens on Wednesday, they'll be something there for us with the initials PA.

Anonymous said...

Day two and she's doing GREAT! What fun she is to have around. She made a butterfly a little bit ago with two pillows and a blanket. She is so creative. I have eaten SO MUCH (Pretend) food, that I've probably gained 10lbs. in 2 days. :)

Love, MoM