Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Painting 101

Today I painted a room- all by myself. Now, this may not be a big deal to most of you, but me and manual labor- we don't really work well together. So this was kind of a big deal for me. :) I've painted rooms before, but I've always worked alongside someone. Today I was all alone. Scott was in the garage most of the day, preparing the moldings that will go up in the room tomorrow. We are both VERY tired, but I wanted to show you some pictures of my progress today.

First, though, let me share some lessons about painting. You might even learn something you didn't know before!

1. If you think the paint is too dark when you first put it on, it IS. It will only get darker with time. Take it back and get the color you really want.

2. If you're lucky, your husband will do this for you and you'll use the too dark color on the bottom instead of the top of the walls. Perfect!

3. Pay attention to what step of the ladder you are on when painting. Otherwise you're likely to take one step down when you really should take two steps down, and you might fall. Not that this has happened to ME, mind you, but it's a good lesson. :)

4. It might be a pain to do, but install crown molding when you paint a room. That way you don't have to be careful when doing the top edging!

5. When using brown paint over yellow, it will look purple. Don't panic. It really will look like brown when you're done.

6. Don't shy away from a color just because of its name. I HATE mushrooms, but this mushroom color is pretty nice.

7. Don't plan on doing too much typing after you paint. Your fingers will be so tired and sore. You'll make a LOT of mistakes if you try to blog right after painting!

8. And lastly, although you'll miss her like crazy, it's MUCH easier to paint a room in a day when you do not have your 3 year old in the house with you. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Check back tomorrow (if home decorating is interesting to you) to see the finished room, complete with a couple pieces of furniture and bedding for our new little boy!




Scott measures where the chair rail will go



Prepped and ready to paint!



Hmmm, that color looks too dark for our top color. Scott runs back to Lowe's



I begin to paint the too dark color on the bottom instead. It works!



It's getting there....



I LOVE taking the tape off! I like how this is turning out!



LAST WALL!! Goodbye yellow playroom, hello Aaron's bedroom!



It was wonderful to not worry about mistakes by the ceiling. I can't wait to have crown molding tomorrow!



My job here is done! The paint is still wet, but I was excited to take an "all done" picture. I can't remember the last time I did physical labor from sun up to sundown. I really don't enjoy painting, but I sure do enjoy the end result, and when you're doing it for someone you love and cannot wait to meet, it really isn't so bad! :) Tomorrow Scott will work with his friend on the moldings while I work on setting up my scrapbook area- I'll post some before and after pictures of that too! Goodnight!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Congratulations on painting! Today I've been busy all day too ~ but we're preparing to put our house on the market. Ugh and double ugh, but when I think of it as my way of getting ready to bring my son home it seems better...
I can't wait to see Aaron's room with the furniture and bedding included!

Kate said...

We are in the middle of prepping Lia's room for paint. I have learned a lot in the past few years...and now consider my self a slow but okay kind of painter. It was good you stopped and changed out the color before you got toofar....we lived in a bathroom that had the "wrong" color of blue...because I couldn't convince Jim to re-paint! Good for you about tackling this and getting it done...I am impressed!!

It looks great...and I will definitely be stopping by to check out more pics tomorrow!! Maybe it will re-energize me!! :-)

Kate

Jodee said...

You did a great job! I can't wait to see it all done!

We are getting ready to paint too. We probably won't start until later this fall though!

Andrea said...

That's some serious perfection going on there! Good job! You have me SO eager to see the end result with the bedding. My nesting instincts did finally kick in and I cleaned my house, like deep clean the paper and junk! Now I just have to paint the entire house, buy a crib, sort all LeighAnna's clothes and baby proof. I need to find a baby gate that can secure to a curved stairway with only a banister on one side. Hmmm

Journey to Mia Lynn: said...

Perfect, just perfect! The little guy will be very pleased! You know though, the little gal in the house may just decide upon returning home that she needs new paint too! HA! You know that sibling rivalary thing...it is never to early for that to start. Wink, wink! However, for those of us~parents like us, I say bring it on! When parenting & growing our families doesn't come quite as easily as it does for some others, I believe that even in the hardest, most stressful of times that it is a little easier for us to sit back & smile knowing how happy we are~even if in that very moment things are not perfect, they often still will feel pretty darn perfect to us! I don't know if that made any sense, but for some reason I just think that you understand exactly my point. Anyhow, congrats on the room. It is going to be fabulous. I will be stalking your blog to see the end result! And most importantly~congratulations on the birth of your son to your family! That is the best! Follow along with us too if you like: www.journeytomialynn.blogspot.com
(if & when you want to & have the time.)
Jen P.

Anonymous said...

Aaron's room looks great. I love the colors you chose.