Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

100 things...

I read a blog today where the author challenged herself to write down 100 things most people wouldn't know about her. I am always up for a challenge, so I thought I'd try. Plus, I haven't taken any pictures the past 2 days. :) I print these pages out as a diary of sorts, so I'm sure this will be fun to look back on several years from now. If you do this on your blog, let me know so I can come read about you. :)

1. The first pet I had, that I can remember, was a dog named Bingo- he died after being sent away to live on a farm.
2. My favorite kind of ice cream is Moose Tracks- lots of chocolate!
3. I have a Masters Degree in Special Education
4. My parents have been married over 45 years
5. The first car I ever bought by myself was a Ford Contour- looking back, it was pretty ugly
6. Right now I drive a blue-gray VW Touareg (yes, I had to look up how to spell it)
7. Once I cheated on a driver's test and was caught. I was in my 30's. I knew better. :)
8. The room I grew up in had red shag carpet in it.
9. We used to use a big rake to "brush up" our shag carpets
10. I used to play basketball- I was the tallest girl on the team, in 5th grade, at 5'4. I am still 5'4. I do not play basketball now.
11. My first kiss was at 15 years old, to my brother's best friend.
12. I love the color taupe
13. I am 4 years older than my husband (he is not my brother's best friend)
14. My spiritual gift is faith
15. I wear my mother's wedding ring as my wedding ring. She got a new one!
16. I love lima beans
17. I gag on peaches!
18. I have a very large fear of flying
19. I have an even larger fear of birds- but most of you know that!
20. I like sheets made of Egyptian cotton
21. I use 3 pillows at night. My husband uses more- I won't say how many more
22. We have a queen bed
23. We are large boned people. :) I'd like a king bed
24. I take one prescription medicine
25. I iron almost everything. And I don't like to iron
26. I met my prince when I was 31
27. I met my daughter when I was 40
28. I will meet my son when I am 43, which I am not YET! :)
29. My favorite feature is my eyes. I get them from my mom
30. My least favorite feature is my stomach. I get it from too much chocolate!
31. I LOVE fall weather.
32. I love to pray, but I hate to pray aloud
33. I have gotten stitches once- I ran into the corner of my grandma's trailer home when I was 2
34. I was born with VERY blonde hair. I now pay for blonde hair
35. One year my husband got me a box of chocolates, and instead of chocolates in the little wrappers, he put pairs of earrings
36. I have suffered, enough to write a book, from generalized anxiety
37. I VERY RARELY suffer anymore
38. I had my first panic attack at age 29. I remember exactly where I was and ALL the details
39. I have one sibling- an older brother- he is a police detective
40. My first apartment was nicknamed "the box". It was TINY. The kitchen had one drawer. It was also brand new and adorable!
41. I have never smoked- anything!
42. I love to type. Sometimes when I'm just thinking I'll be typing out the words in my head
43. My worst nightmare ever was about a fire in my house. I could not run for help. My feet stood still. It was horrible. I was 8.
44. I was really good at dodgeball in elementary school
45. I was really, really bad at math after 7th grade. Once letters came into math I was LOST!
46. I got a D in Spanish and a D in French. I can't "do" foreign language!
47. I taught 7/8 grade English for 12 years. I really liked my job!
48. If there is a fire in the fireplace I have to stay up until it's all gone out
49. I honeymooned in Maine. It was beautiful!
50. I never learned how to dive. Belly flops were my specialty!
51. My favorite flower is the tulip
52. I do not care for massages. They hurt me. You can scratch my back all day, though.
53. One of my favorite memories is being at the Eiffel Tower on their Bastille Day- VERY cool!!
54. My dad is the healthiest person I know. I wish I took after my dad.
55. My brother is also very healthy. I wish I took after my brother.
56. My mom likes cookies and cake. I take after my mom. :)
57. I really like football- watching, not playing
58. One time K-State (my team) beat Nebraska (Scott's team), and he left the house!
59. I went through fertility treatment for three years
60. I am still sad that I will never give birth.
61. I love my daughter more than I ever thought it possible to love someone
62. I have worked with kids in some fashion since I was of employable age
63. I used to be pretty good at tennis. We used to practice on a huge green piece of foam in our basement!
64. I used to have crushes on Sylvester Stallone, Shaun Cassidy, and that guy from Battlestar Galactica- what was his name?
65. I HATE shows like Star Trek
66. I am not a risk taker.
67. I really love The Carpenters. I can sing in her range the best!
68. My mom and I used to watch shows like Magnum P.I. and Dallas religiously!
69. I used to watch soap operas. I haven't in years. I cannot believe Victor Newman is still alive
70. I have called myself the Queen of Good Intentions. I have lots of good ideas. I'm not the best at follow- through.
71. I'm really bad about calling people back.
72. I'm really good at emailing people back.
73. I am intimidated in Williams-Sonoma
74. Today I had a grilled peanut butter sandwich. See #73
75. When I was 15 I went to Europe with a group of kids. I got grounded when I was there for having boys in my room! Innocent, we were all innocent! :)
76. I enjoy public speaking. I get nervous about it, but I enjoy it
77. I love to play cards. My favorite game is canasta. My brother and Dad always beat my mom and me. My husband refuses to play with us!
78. One year the geniuses in the California teaching system appointed me to teach GEOGRAPHY! I can't find my way out of a paper bag, read a map... really, I can't! It was a long year- for me, AND the kids!
79. I actually like job interviews.
80. I could watch You've Got Mail every month.
81. One of my favorite books was She's Come Undone
82. I was never really popular. I always had a friend who was, so I kind of slipped in the group. If they had to vote someone out, it would have been me.
83. My best friends in high school were Cynda and Cheryl. They were both popular! :)
84. I graduated in 1984. Thought that was fun for #84
85. I have ridden a horse once. It took off and I couldn't make it stop. It was scary. I think I was 8 or 9 years old.
86. I don't think Brad and Angelina will last.
87. I used to think it would be fun to be famous. I don't think so anymore
88. I saw Kevin Bacon in concert (yes, he sings, and his music is fun!) in Sausilito.
89. My first concert ever was Donny and Marie.
90. My favorite concert was Chicago. They came to K-State when I was there, and my "I wish he was my boyfriend but he wasn't" friend came up to see the show with me. A GREAT night!
91. I watched the space shuttle disaster from the basement of my dorm. I remember where I was standing.
92. I also watched Matlock and a whole lotta' Cosby from the basement of my dorm
93. I am just now running out of things to say....
94. I miss the close neighborhoods of my youth. I used to know all my neighbors. Not anymore. :(
95. I used to think people who were in their 40's must know everything.
96. I recently learned that you don't have to weigh every time you go to the doctor. You can just say "no thank you".
97. I no longer dread going to the doctor like I used to
98. Laughter really is the best medicine. I've been doing a lot of thinking/worrying lately (mainly about Aaron), and making this list helped me forget about it and laugh a lot
99. It would make me SO happy if even ONE of my readers made a list of their own. It really was fun, and I really would love to read someone else's list.
100. If you are even reading #100, thank you! I hope you had a little bit of fun getting to know me better. :) It's 12:30, so I am going to bed. Good night!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

#81 - I liked that book also.

Andrea said...

Okay, I commit to this challenge...

#1 - I have no idea what to write but am sure that if I sit here for another hour, it WILL come to me!

Andrea said...

Here's a response to #98...
http://www.carolinahopeadoption.org/blog/archives/696/

Kate said...

Whew....I am tired just reading this list....but I know you so much better. I am not sure I could come up with 100 things...but I will ponder....and weirdly I like job interviews as well...what does that say about us....latent competitvie streak???


Fun list!!

Beth said...

Ok... you like lima beans? That cracks me up. :)
And OMG!!! You saw Donnie and Marie in concert. You are SO lucky, and no, I'm not joking. :)
I'll do this too, but after Grandma's visit is over.

Jill said...

Laughing so hard about cheating on your driver's test in your 30's.

Also, a few years ago I learned you don't have to get weighed in at the doctor's office. I just said, "oh no, do I have to?" and she said, "No." Love it.

Jill said...

Laughing so hard about cheating on your driver's test in your 30's.

Also, a few years ago I learned you don't have to be weighed in at the doctor's office. I just said, "oh no, do I have to?" and she said, "No." Love it.

Jodee said...

Laurie -- Holy cow! We have sooo much in common! I will only use Egyptian cotton sheets, I have never smoked anything, I have a huge fear of flying, I can't read a map, and I am three years older than my hubby! I enjoyed reading your list!

In any event, I will be doing 100 things for my one year blogging anniversary (in October)! I already have it all typed up and ready to go!