Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter weekend- part III






After church we changed clothes and headed to the new Sprint Center in downtown Kansas City to see Disney's Princesses on Ice. Allison had no idea what the "surprise of the day" was, so it was fun to see her expression when we got there and she started seeing all sorts of Disney stuff around. She kept saying, "I'm just sooo excited!" It was adorable! We immediately bought her a princess t-shirt to wear and then let her have her picture taken with Cinderella (which in my opinion was a real rip-off since it was just a mannequin not even a real person- but whatever!) She enjoyed it as if it WAS a real person, making me re-think the whole plan of visiting Disney World next year- ha! Anyway, after purchasing the last treat (an Aeriel wand that plays a song and lights up- a MUST have, of course!) we thought we'd show Allison the stage before getting our lunch and heading in. Her reaction was VERY unexpected. I thought she'd be so excited to see the ice and all the decorations. Instead, she started crying - HARD!! Scott and I just looked at her, like, what is going on? At first we thought maybe it scared her? NOPE! Not our child. She starts sobbing, saying, "I want to BE IN THE SHOW!! I want to skate on the ice!!" HUH??? We had to explain to her that this was a show to just watch and that she couldn't go out on the ice. Throughout the whole show she wanted to go down and skate (mind you- she's never been in skates or had a lesson, but she didn't "get" that part), but she managed to enjoy herself very much and had fun watching her favorite characters perform. By the end of the show I was convinced that she needed ice skating lessons, so I'll look into that this fall.

The show was really fantastic- I enjoyed it as an adult and found it all very well done. My ONLY complaint would be the timing of the production. Most kids there were between 2-6 years old, but the show was at 2:00, when most kids are napping. You could toward the end of the show that most kids were zombies- looking like they might just fall asleep right then and there, despite the rings of fire on the ice and the lights flashing all around. It's just tough for preschoolers to be awake until 4:00 no matter what's happening around them. You can see from my last picture that Allison didn't last long once we hit the car. Scott and I were tired too, so we ended up spending another night in KC and heading home this morning. GOOD CHOICE! :) I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend!

0 comments: